• Honoured Worker of Arts of the Russian Federation, 1990
• The Professors Degree, 1991
• Silver Medal of the Presidium of the Russian Academy of Art, July 10, 1995
Collections: (partial list)
Works shown frequently at Lazare Gallery, Charles City, VA; Walls Gallery, Wilmington, NC; Wallace Fine Art, Longboat Key, Fl; as well as James Yarosh and Assoc., Holmdel, NJ.
Zabelin has over 300 paintings in the world’s museums including:
Tretyakov Gallery (Museum), Moscow
- Spring Evening in Rostov the Great, 1981, 64.5 x 69 cm.
- Spring Evening, 1983, 88.5 x 88.5 cm.
Russian State Museum, St. Petersburg
- Interior, Church of Christ the Savior in Rostov, 1987, 50 x 40 cm.
- Interior of Church, Ascension, 1988, 60 x 80 cm.
- Interior of Christ the Savior Church, 1984, 70 x 50 cm.
- Suzdal Grey Day, 1966, 47 x 70 cm.
- Interior of Resurrection Church, 1968, 30 x 40 cm.
- Clear Field, 1978, 50 x 70 cm.
- Home Above the Cellar, Rostov Kremlin, 1980, 60 x 80 cm.
The Rostov Kremlin Art Museum
[has an enormous memorial hall dedicated completely to his works, including:]
- Lilacs, 60 x 50 cm.
- In Rostov, 1997, 50 x 70 cm.
- Rostov, Washing Yard, 49.7 x 79.7 cm.
- Center of Rostov the Great, 1978, 50 x 69.5 cm.
- Old Estate, 2000, 50 x 40 cm.
- Sunrise/Sunset in Rostov?, 1970, 50 x 70 cm.
- Green House, 1999, 41 x 56 cm.
- Portrait of Wife, 1972, 89 x 89 cm.
- Grey Day, 1997, 60 x 80 cm.
- Rostov Beauty, 1968, 72 x 50 cm.
- View of Rostov Kremlin, 1969, 49.7 x 70 cm.
- View of Inner Yard of Rostov Kremlin, 1969,
49.5 x 70 cm.
- Street in Rostov, 1985, 60 x 80 cm.
- Pink House, 1991, 50 x 60 cm.
Russia Artists’ Union
- Interior of Resurection Church in Rostov, 1983,
Oil on Canvas, 41 x 55 cm.
- Winter, Borisogleb, 1993, Oil on Canvas,
55 x 82 cm.
Russian Art Museum, Kiev
Picture Gallery Museum, Tver
Rjazan Fine Arts Museum, Rjazan
Jarosalv Fine Arts Museum, Jaroslav
Kaluga Fine Arts Museum, Kaluga
Kurjan Fine Arts Museum, Kurjan
Taganrog Picture Gallery Museum, Taganrog
Orenburg Fine Art Museum, Orenburg
Orlov Fina Art Museum, Orlov
Kostroma Fine Art Museum, Kostroma
Novosibirsk Fine Art Museum, Novosibirsk
Nizhnij Novgorod Fine Art Museum, Nizhnij Novgorod
Artist Architectural Reserve Museum, Rostov
Ekaterinburg Fine Art Museum, Ekaterinburg
He has become a favorite of well-known private collectors such as James Yarosh (USA), Larry and Pat Merriman (USA), and Stefano Pirra (Italy).
“I was born and grew up in Moscow…the old streets, the hidden quirks of this place, the Novodevichii Monastery, made me into an artist. These are my native areas, my small homeland”
“We live in a time when historical cities and environs are losing their individuality and there is no end in sight to this process.”
“In my pedagogical work, I have attempted to help facilitate my students to find their own voice and for them to understand their souls, and help those souls create, in an unrepeatable language.”
“Individuality in art…is often understood to be a necessity to produce works reflecting the anger of our time, satisfying the fleeting whims of the public.”
“When a school of training is not present, it is often replaced with a self-sufficient manner and attempt to pander to the public and draw the attention of amateurs by superficial tricks, which are always used to hide incompetence.”
He suggested and organized the All-Russian Art Exhibitions “Monuments of Motherland” which became an important event in the artistic and cultural life of the country.
Zabelin has been included in many survey books of Russian art and has had several books published on his work including his first coffee table sized book, with full page color plates, cataloguing all of his known works due out in 2006.
List of books that include information about Zabelin:
Path of Russian Impressionism
100 Years of Russian Artist Union
Published in Moscow 2003
In thy Name
Russian Artist Union
Published in Moscow 2004
(This book was published commemorating the 2000th birthday of the birth of Christ and primarily promoted Russia’s greatest artist who did religious paintings during the 20th century. It is a major book documenting the artist’s works who displayed at one of the Russian Artist’s Unions greatest shows.
The Great Painters
Published in Moscow 2001
A Dictionary of Soviet and Russian Painters
Active 1900 to 1980
Published in London, 1998
Russian Landscape, Great Collection
Published in Moscow 2004
List of known books published on Zabelin:
Published in Moscow
Published in Italy 2001
Published in Italy 1993
Published in Italy 1999
To Be Published in 2006 by the documentary film maker and book publisher Archivos Alba: Zabelin, Master of Color - this is to be a definitive work that will catalog all known works of Zabelin and has many contributors by art historians and artists who knew Zabelin. It will be a coffee table sized book with one plate per page.